We love including recipes in Mirador, and this was a particularly fun recipe page since it really brought out the nostalgia factor. I was a kid in the 70s and we always had a jar of TANG on the kitchen counter. Well, as we haven’t been able to crack the secret code of real TANG, here’s a version of it that incorporates fresh fruit for a zingy, healthful beverage.
Zest from 2 oranges (avoid the white pithy part)
2 oranges sections (discard peels)
4 cups sugar
4 teaspoons ascorbic acid powder/vitamin C powder
1 tsp salt
1 teaspoon orange gel flavor (optional)
Large baking dish or flat pan
Blender or food processor
- Blend orange sections
- Strain well — discard pulp
- Add zest to juice
- Spread the sugar out into the baking dish or flat pan
- Pour the juice evenly over sugar
- Allow to dry out of the sun for 24 hours or until crumbly
- Use a spoon to dislodge and mix the orange sugar in the pan
- Spread orange sugar out evenly again
- Allow to dry 5 days longer until orange sugar chunks are crunchy consistency
- Blend the orange sugar, citric acid, and salt to a fine powder
- If desired, add orange food gel and blend again
- Get ready to drink!
Stir 2 tablespoons of drink mix into 1 cup cool water
Add ice if desired and garnish with a slice of citrus
Store blended drink powder in a container in the refrigerator for up to a month.